To install WordPress on your local system, follow these step-by-step instructions:
Step 1: Set Up a Local Development Environment: Before installing WordPress, you need to set up a local development environment on your computer. This typically involves installing a local server environment like XAMPP, WAMP, or MAMP, which includes Apache, MySQL, and PHP.
- Download and install a local server environment suitable for your operating system (XAMPP, WAMP, or MAMP).
- Run the installer and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
- Start the local server environment to ensure that Apache and MySQL services are running.
Step 2: Download WordPress:
- Visit the official WordPress website at https://wordpress.org/.
- Click on the “Get WordPress” button to download the latest version of WordPress in a ZIP file format.
Step 3: Extract the WordPress Files:
- Locate the downloaded ZIP file and extract its contents.
- Copy the extracted WordPress folder and navigate to the local server’s document root folder (e.g., “htdocs” in XAMPP or WAMP, “htdocs” or “www” in MAMP).
- Paste the WordPress folder into the document root folder.
Step 4: Create a Database:
- Open a web browser and enter “localhost/phpmyadmin” in the address bar.
- Create a new database by clicking on the “Databases” tab and entering a name for the database.
- Note down the database name, username, and password as you will need them during the WordPress installation process.
Step 5: Install WordPress:
- Open a web browser and enter “localhost/wordpress” (or the corresponding folder name if you renamed it) in the address bar.
- Select the desired language and click “Continue”.
- On the next screen, enter the database details (database name, username, password, and host) you noted down earlier.
- Click “Submit” or “Run the Installation” to proceed.
- Enter the site title, username, password, and email address for the WordPress administrator account.
- Click “Install WordPress” to complete the installation.
Step 6: Access the WordPress Dashboard:
- Once the installation is complete, click “Login” or enter “localhost/wordpress/wp-admin” in the browser’s address bar.
- Enter the administrator username and password created during the installation process.
- Click “Login” to access the WordPress dashboard.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed WordPress on your local system. You can now begin customizing your website, installing themes and plugins, and building your content.